Re: upgrade using aptitude

Qi Qi:
 On 16 February 2011 20:06, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Qi Qi:

> I have been using debian unstable. After debian 6.0 released, aptitude
> upgrading asks me to remove gnome, gnome-core, and
> gnome-desktop-enviroment,etc.
I doubt that you are using (safe-)upgrade. You are probably having
trouble using full-upgrade which you didn't have if you used a
safe-upgrade instead.

<large snip>

With aptitude, upgrading to a new distribution, which is essentially what you are doing when moving to a new version of unstable,
'aptitude full-upgrade' is appropriate after 'aptitude update'.

Follow this with 'aptitude autoclean'.

Any incremental updates after that, 'aptitude safe-upgrade' is appropriate.

(snip)
What I did was "sudo aptitude --no-gui", and type u, then U and g, and
choose among proposed conflict resolutions. I didn't know actually this is called safe-upgrade.
I will try directly run "sudo aptitude full-upgrade" in
terminal. I admitted that I wasn't really sure about the appropriate process of upgrading
by aptitude, and didn't fully understand of aptitude.
This is something different. You were running aptitude in the interactive mode, you can also use it like apt-get, with command line arguments
 - aptitude update
 - aptitude safe-upgrade
 - aptitude install packagename
 - etc. etc. etc. (RTFM!)