Re: fresh squeeze install fails to partition

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:46:55 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 02/15/2011 04:43 PM, Neal Hogan wrote:
> > My goal was to install the debian GNU/bsd system, but things seemed
> > to be messed up. I've tried the mini.iso and full net-iso for both
> > the gnu/bsd and gnu/linux system (i386) and no matter what I try it
> > fails to partition my drive.
> >    eg.
> >       "[!!] Partition disks
> >        Failed to create a file system
> >        The ufs file system creation in partition #6 of ATA1 (ad0)
> > failed" No matter what option I try, the default, all-in-one
> > partition, the seperation /home partition, etc., it doesn't work.

is ufs standard now on a fresh install ?  have you tried using ext3 ?

it's very odd that the all-in-one would fail since that basically kills
everything on the disk and installs a single partition.  that would
lead me to believe that the access to your disk is busted, which also
seems unlikely.

when performing the installation you can open a terminal (Alt-F2) and
run commands from the command line.  if you know how to use fdisk, it
may be worth it to try and create the partitions yourself, to see if you
can get some more error messages.

I'm not sure when the current disk partition tool is for an install,
someone please correct me if it's not simply fdisk (cfdisk, maybe ?).

Brian