Re: Trouble PXE Boot After Kernel Starts Loading

On Feb 15, 2011, at 5:31 AM, Michael Tsang wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 February 2011 16:17:27 Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> I have a Soekris Net5501 and I'm using tftp to boot pxelinux.0 and,
>> ultimately, from there, I want to install Squeeze.
>>
>> First, I have to thank Debian, since the PXE boot explanation (sorry, lost
>> the link from earlier) was a very good explanation on how to set up PXE.
>> But since it was for Etch, I searched and also found an excellent one by
>> Andy Smith here:
>>
>> http://andys.org.uk/wiki/Guide:PXE_network_booting_Debian_install
>>
>> that includes Squeeze.  I think it should be pointed out that there is
>> excellent documentation out there for this.
>>
>> Now, on to where I'm stuck, which is, I think, more a part of the normal
>> boot process.  I have the directory tree like this:
>>

>> tftpboot/debian/squeeze/i386/linux
>> tftpboot/debian/squeeze/i386/initrd.gz
>> tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
>> tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/boot.txt
>>
>> It boots the kernel, but then I get:
>>
>> Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
>>
>> And after that, it freezes and I get nothing.  The default config file, in
>> full, is after my signature (it's longer, and I don't think it's the
>> issue).  I added "edd=off" to each kernel line in that config file because
>> it was freezing up with the same message and suspected it was because (as
>> best I know), there is no Enhanced Disk Drive.  But then there's the "...
>> ok" after it, which makes me think the edd issue isn't why it's freezing.
>>
>> Is this due to the edd probe (in which case the "edd=off" isn't working for
>> some reason)?
>>
>> If not, what should I check next?
> I think you should check the Linux documentation. EDD was OK but the next went
> wrong.

Unfortunately, while I keep searching for the pxelinux boot sequence, I get instructions on how to set up pxe and the overall sequence, but nothing that breaks down what is actually done by the kernel.  Is it transferring to the ram drive after this?  I don't know -- there's not much on what the kernel does in a pxe boot sequence.

Hal