Re: New policies?

Use Git for your /etc or whatever.

On 2011-02-14 22:34, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>> Automagic merging is difficult. Trying to guess what I meant with my local
>> config changes would likely drive someone mad :). Well, unless they read
>> my documentation and changelogs. You do document local config changes,
>> don't you? :)

Yes, it's called commit messages, and together with the log/the diff you
normally get a good picture of who did what.

> Of course it is difficult. If this is wanted, maybe a brand new way must be
> found, to merge ASCII-files. At the moment I do not know any.

No, IMHO it's not, it's standard revision control:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29

Every update causes changes, and you either setup automated commits or
you do them manually. By this step, you can keep your stuff, solve merge
conflicts or whatever you like. Or go back in time.

HTH, ändu