Relocating Squeeze partition

With Lenny I am able to take an image of a partition with an external
imaging tool and rewrite it to a different location on the (first)
hard drive. In this configuration I have a proprietary bootloader
(BootitNG) in the MBR with Grub in the Lenny partition. My main
objective is to clone a new install to run each for distinct purposes
which I want to keep entirely separate.

After installing Squeeze this does not work. On trying to boot in the
new location I just get a black screen with the word GRUB in the top
corner. I think the main differences with Lenny are that I have Grub2
instead of Grub, ext4 instead of ext3 and UUIDs instead of /dev/sdxn
in fstab. Both systems are AMD64.

I don't know where the problem(s) lie. Is it reasonably possible to
adjust settings somewhere to accomplish this relocation? If it's not
reasonably straightforward I guess I'll just have to reinstall and
retweak in the new location.

(After relocating I could boot into the original Squeeze system and
then mount the new Squeeze root partition in order to make changes.)