Re: /etc/apt/sources.list

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:10:49 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

>>> Yes, please.
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00582.html
>
> That message got another reply:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00585.html
>
> So, should people running "sid" also add the whole "testing" repo under
> all circumstances (as default policy) or just when some package is broken
> and is in the need of back to the previous version or something is
> missing? :-?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

In my experience, testing is more dangerous than unstable.  Reason
being that testing doesn't refresh as frequent, so when bugs show up,
you have to live with them for longer, or there are more probabilities
for you to do more hand work (in unstable it's more probable to get a
fix sooner).

To me testing makes more sense when there's code freeze and one wants
to have a taste of what's soon to come, but still close enough to
stable and under heavy scrutiny (given it's about to become stable).
Other than that unstable alone is safer.

The comment about removing packets from unstable, well, that might
happen, but that doesn't mean the packet gets uninstalled
automatically from the box.  BTW, the times I've seen packages being
removed from unstable, they have really gotten out of the repos, so
instead it had help me educate the reasons why (I go look the web, or
ask the list), and if there are alternatives under the repos...  BTW,
aptitude is of great help, specially safe-upgrade, :-)

--
Javier.