Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

On Do, 10 Feb 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Yes, it shows those for me too (I use the lmodern package also). That seemed like a good tip but it turns out those are completely different LM fonts. The LMTypewriter10 is a font that comes with the context pacakge. It's not the only one that's missing, either. There are all kinds of other fonts not recognized such as ZurichExBT and OldDreadfulNo7BT.

I cannot add much, I have no idea about defoma which seems to be dead.
I can only say that we do NOT activate all fonts in type1 format for
fontconfig/defoma, but only the ttf/otf fonts.

But in fact not much has changed there.

I haven't seen the start of the thread and there are many things mixed together.

What is the actual problem?

> It's not showing up with fc-list, even after running fc-cache as root.
> I think it's possibly a bug in context; or maybe in the defoma configuration
> that makes it look at TeX fonts:
>
> % rgrep texmf *
> conf.d/30-defoma.conf:   <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm</dir>
> conf.d/30-defoma.conf:   <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre</dir>

Yes, because the font was not made available to fontconfig, so it wil
not show up. I don't want to and I will not check all fonts in TL for
suitability for fontconfig/X whatever.

SuSE or RedHat is doing that (see recent thread on texlive mailing list)
and they got into various problemsbecasue some fonts are badly
desinged and destroy fontconfigs selecction mechanism.

That is in fact a serious problem, I guess it is open since ages, that
font config does not parse all necessary font details, like expert font
sets etc.

> I've CCd the TeX/context and fontconfig maintainers.  To them: this
> problem is regarding the loss of the LMTypewriter10 font as both an X
> bitmap font and as a fontconfig-provided font as shown by fc-list
> following an upgrade to squeeze.  When one installs the context package,
> the font does not show up.

Is the package
	lmodern-x11
installed?

Best wishes

Norbert
HIDCOTE BARTRAM (n.)
To be caught in a hidcote bartram is to say a series of protracted and
final goodbyes to a group of people, leave the house and then realise
you've left your hat behind.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff