Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> They should be put there automatically unless there's some weird
> screwup.  As an example, I use the TeX Gyre fonts in non-TeX
> applications, and they all show up in the fc-list output.  I'm
> afraid the details are all a bit like black magic to me :(

Ha ha, that's EXACTLY the way I've been thinking about it too!

:(

But I am 80% convinced that this is a TeX problem. Right now I can't run xdvi at all without getting hundreds of error lines about duplicate entries in ps2pk.map. I remember I had this problem a year ago when I upgraded to Lenny. It had been some kind of updmap problem with Tex Live.

> fc-list certainly shows up lots of "LM" fonts, including LMMono
> (could it be just a different name?) and LMRoman etc.

Yes, it shows those for me too (I use the lmodern package also). That seemed like a good tip but it turns out those are completely different LM fonts. The LMTypewriter10 is a font that comes with the context pacakge. It's not the only one that's missing, either. There are all kinds of other fonts not recognized such as ZurichExBT and OldDreadfulNo7BT.

I think I need to figure out the difference between fontinst and Defoma and how fonts are discovered by each. Maybe something in the upgrade broke so that these programs are not being made aware of fonts in new packages. I don't know.

Is there a Debian TeX / font hacker's list out there???