Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:34:01PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 10 Feb 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > > Yes, it shows those for me too (I use the lmodern package also). That seemed like a good tip but it turns out those are completely different LM fonts. The LMTypewriter10 is a font that comes with the context pacakge. It's not the only one that's missing, either. There are all kinds of other fonts not recognized such as ZurichExBT and OldDreadfulNo7BT.
>
> I cannot add much, I have no idea about defoma which seems to be dead.
> I can only say that we do NOT activate all fonts in type1 format for
> fontconfig/defoma, but only the ttf/otf fonts.

OK.

> But in fact not much has changed there.
>
> I haven't seen the start of the thread and there are many things mixed together.
>
> What is the actual problem?

The start of the thread is here:

> > I've CCd the TeX/context and fontconfig maintainers.  To them: this
> > problem is regarding the loss of the LMTypewriter10 font as both an X
> > bitmap font and as a fontconfig-provided font as shown by fc-list
> > following an upgrade to squeeze.  When one installs the context package,
> > the font does not show up.
>
> Is the package
> 	lmodern-x11
> installed?

No, and AFAICT it's not been available for a long time.  Looking back
to the start of the thread, it looks like it may be the names of the
X11 fonts that changed as reported by xlsfonts.  But I'm still no
wiser about which packages provides them in the first place (I only
see the one TTF font file in context), unless it's via some defoma or
other font black magic in the X server.

Erin, if you want this font making available with fontconfig, it
should be fairly easy to get it to search in
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/truetype/hoekwater/lm by adding this to
/etc/fonts/local.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/truetype/hoekwater/lm</dir>
</fontconfig>

Regards,
Roger

--