Re: MySQL (phpmyadmin, Wordpress) hosed after upgrade to Squeeze!

I am almost-almost there with this problem. It's come down to some Phpmyadmin funkiness and that's about all.

First of all, Remco was absolutely right: I had to try reinstalling mysql-server, and that updated it for me to a new version. THEN, when I tried to log in with my mysql user account on phpmyadmin, it did not like the fact that this account does not have a password (it's a single-user system, not online, so I don't see the problem).

I found in the docs that you uncomment a line in config.ini.php if you want to allow accounts without passwords. I uncommented that line and it STILL gave me trouble! I don't know why. The file is /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php and I changed it so that the one line looks like this:

   $cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = TRUE;

Ok, but then I still couldn't log on with my no-password user account. What??! I found out there's a few other config.inc.php files on the system but none of htem mention AllowNoPassword and supposedly the "Debian way" is to edit the one right there in /etc/phpmyadmin.

But I have so many other problems with this upgrade and do not have TIME to play for days with this, so I begrudginly logged into mysql and gave that user a password. Phpmyadmin liked that. Wordpress did not. Now I figured out that I had to change wp-conf.php in the wordpress directory and add the password. Ok, so I did that, and now it works! The only problem I have is that I really don't want to have a password on this user account. Unless there truly is a security risk here.

So now that leaves me at ... exactly where I was first thing this morning! Now to tackle the broken TeX, missing fonts, Nvidida driver, and whatever else might be lurking around the corner. I think I feel sick!

Thanks everybody.

Erin