Re: MySQL (phpmyadmin, Wordpress) hosed after upgrade to Squeeze!

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Ehm?   How do you have upgraded Lenny to Squeeze?

No no, misunderstood -- that was not how I upgraded. That was what I did AFTER the upgrade.

What I first did was just like what you said:

> The right way is to change lenny > squeeze in your /etc/apt/sources.list
> run 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and here  you  will  get
> the right "mysql-server".

Except I don't think I got the right mysql-server when that happened!

I did "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" (following the upgrade HOWTO to to the letter), and I upgraded the kernel and udev, and everything else.

Only THEN did I do "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade"; isn't that what you do when there's a new release of some program? I am of the understanding (possibly wrong!) that when a package in squeeze is updated, when I run "apt-get update" (with my sources pointing to squeeze and the squeeze security updates) that my apt will know about it ... and then "apt-get upgrade" will upgrade all available packages on my already-upgraded-to-squeeze system. Is that how it works?

Well anyway what I had to do was run "apt-get install mysql-server" and only then did it get the latest 5.1.

Now this bothers me. I wonder, what else on my system is old or not the latest? How can I tell?

Here I go again:

# apt-get update
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze Release
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
Reading package lists... Done
# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
#

> > I also notice that the /var/log/mysql* files are still all blank.
> > Shouldn't they be writing some info?
>
> Maybe a 'invoke-rc.d syslogd restart' help?

Oh no!

# invoke-rc.d syslogd restart
invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/syslogd not found.
# dpkg -l|grep syslog
#

However, /var/log/syslog is writing just fine!

What does this mean?

Erin