Re: MySQL (phpmyadmin, Wordpress) hosed after upgrade to Squeeze!

Remco Rijnders <remco@webconquest.com> wrote:

> Can you check to see if mysql-server is installed? After my upgrade on one
> machine from lenny to squeeze it went missing. The MySQL client was
> installed, but the server part was gone. An 'apt-get install mysql-server'
> was enough to bring it back, including the database I had.

Remco, thanks! This has helped a bit but the problem is still there.

I checked and found that mysql-server 5.0 was installed; I tried "apt-get install mysql-server" and it replaced it with the latest 5.1 (and this is weird to me too, because I have been doing "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" all day and it says 0 packages need to be updated ... I thought that meant that I'm running all the latest stuff!).

Ok, that seemed to work. My Wordpress came back, but then phpmyadmin freaked out about a user account that did not have a password. I logged into mysql as root and gave that user a password. Then I was able to log into phpmyadmin and access that database. Yay!

But, get this ... now I go back to the Wordpress install, and get this again:

Error establishing a database connection

What in the world is going on?!

I also notice that the /var/log/mysql* files are still all blank. Shouldn't they be writing some info?

So Remco, thanks for getting me at least halfway there! Now to get the rest of this stuff figured out before Debian 7.0 comes out!