Re: Squeeze how to use networked printer?

David Christensen wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> >when you find a FIX for something, I think "THEY" like to see the
> >subject line change to --
> > Re: Squeeze how to use networked printer?-SOLVED

Some like it and some do not.  If you want to then add it.  If not
then don't.  I personally don't usually do this but I see nothing
wrong with doing it.  And it is a happy change.  Seeing it in a
subject line is a nice happy indication that someone's problem was
solved and so that is always pleasant.  It can be useful when there is
a large discussion that a user might skim and tells them where it ends.

> It is my understanding that changing the subject line causes
> problems for the mail server, for some recipients, and/or for the
> various other systems that handle list traffic.  Therefore, I don't
> change the subject line.

A change such as adding SOLVED should not cause any problem for
anyone.  Certainly not for the mail server.  And not a problem for the
mailing list archives.  It will be threaded into the discussion
correctly.

However MS users running Outlook have only the subject for message
threading.  This is a long standing bug in Outlook.  But they are so
broken anyway that what is one more bug for them?  If anything it
should presure them to use a better mail user agent from the many
available to them.  It shouldn't prevent the rest of us from doing the
right thing.

Changing the subject with solved or when topic "drift" occurs
(considered good) is not the same as replying to a previous message
with a completely *new* topic and simply changing the subject line
(very bad).  That is called thread stealing or thread hijacking and is
extremely rude.  Your new message topic is threaded in the middle of
the previous conversation!  That is very rude behavior.  For a new
question or new topic they should start a new message and not reply to
a previous one.  Do not hijack threads.

> p.s.  On debian-user, please "Reply to All", rather than "Reply", so
> that your reply goes to the list.

If you Reply-All then remember to remove the sender's address from the
recipient list so that your message goes only to the mailing list.
See the published code of conduct.

In particular:

  When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
  copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to
  be copied.

But also for those of us on the list:

  If you want to complain to someone who sent you a carbon copy when
  you did not ask for it, do it privately.

Therefore instead you should use your MUA's list-reply.  Then the
message automatically goes to the mailing list correctly.

(And let's not even start the discussion *again* about Reply-To.  If
you feel like doing so please search the archives and read one of the
many long discussions that are repeated about every few months on it
instead.)

Bob