Re: Help with my Squeeze upgrade! (missing fonts)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 10:34:36 -0800, Erin Brinkley wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> This is a shoot in the dark, but maybe you are experiencing some of the
>> side effects this FAQ is pointing out :-?
>
> Seems like a good idea. I checked it. Now in /etc/fonts/local.conf there
> is no mention of bitmapped fonts, but instead there's a symlink
> 70-no-bitmaps.conf in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ ... so I deleted it and updated
> the font cache. Got about 250 new fonts ... but my LMTypewriter-10 was
> not among them!

(...)

Err, wait.

as fasr as I understand it, "/etc/fonts/local.conf" should contain the
path to the font you have installed, so you should define there something
like (this is from a lenny box, YMMV):

<!-- Font directory list -->
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
<dir>~/.fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/texmf/fonts</dir>

Which, BTW, it seems to me thats is not the proper folder for X server
can locate truetype fonts... so if the above fails, you can also try by
copying the *.ttf file under "/usr/share/fonts/truetype" or place it
under your user's "~/.fonts" directory (if not present, create it).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón