Re: guidance for making a .Xresources file.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Appears that I need to make a .Xresources file before
> TightVNC will work.

Shouldn't need one.

> Can anyone recommend instructions or examples for the task?

To workaround the noise create an empty file.

  $ touch .Xresources

> The transcript from the TightVNC follows.
> 09/02/11 08:45:59 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
> xrdb: No such file or directory
> xrdb: can't open file '/home/peter/.Xresources'
> peter@dalton:~$

The default file created automatically by vnc (it should have stated
that somewhere in all of the many lines of output noise) contains the
following:

  #!/bin/sh

  xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
  xsetroot -solid grey
  #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
  #x-window-manager &
  # Fix to make GNOME work
  export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
  /etc/X11/Xsession

That is a default because most people have a .Xresources file.  It is
a pretty simple and brute force default.  But you can edit that file
yourself.  Just edit it to your preferences.

Bob