Re: 64bit vs 32bit on a 64bit System

On Mi, 09 feb 11, 16:01:32, Boblitz John wrote:

> "- it seems amd64 uses a bit more RAM and can be slower under specific
> circumstances"
>
> This is interesting!
> Can you be more specific?

Sorry, no. As I corrected myself immediately, it's only hearsay.

> We are running a ProReliant server and it will be used to host the a

You probably meant ProLiant, which seems to be a brand of servers that
exists since Compaq still existed. A "little" more detail would be
necessary if you expect useful answers (CPU specs, RAM, storage, ...)

> progreSQL DB,
> Apache tomcat / Java / PhP services (internal only).
>
> My main "concern" providing a solid basis for Java & the DB Apps.  If
> and when we ever
> need to  hunt down those nasty performance problems, it would be nice to
> be forwarned if the
> OS itself might be part of the problem ....

How about you install both and test? ;)

Whatever anyone can tell you here is only theory, what matters is how it
works for you.

Regards,
Andrei