Re: 64bit vs 32bit on a 64bit System

On Mi, 09 feb 11, 11:57:49, Boblitz John wrote:
> We are internally debating whether to install the 64bit port on our
> 64bit machine.
>
> Are there any reasons to NOT use the 64bit port?

Here are some things I have encountered:

- skype works only with some ugly hacks
- flash had some security issues for a while, workaround was to use the
  32bit version with ugly hacks
- in a mixed environment you can not use packages from the other port
  (depending on your environment this can be pro or con)
- it seems amd64 uses a bit more RAM and can be slower under specific
  circumstances

These are all general considerations, since you said nothing about your
environment, application, hardware, ...

Regards,
Andrei