Re: 64bit vs 32bit on a 64bit System

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:21:49 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Mi, 09 feb 11, 16:20:31, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Mi, 09 feb 11, 11:57:49, Boblitz John wrote:
>> > We are internally debating whether to install the 64bit port on our
>> > 64bit machine.
>> >
>> > Are there any reasons to NOT use the 64bit port?
>>
>> Here are some things I have encountered:
>>
>> - skype works only with some ugly hacks

True. And other software can also suffer from that.

>> - flash had some security issues for a while, workaround was to use the
>>   32bit version with ugly hacks

Yep, but not true anymore :-)

There is Flash Square plugin, pure 64-bits and without any (known) flaw.

>> - in a mixed environment you can not use packages from the other port
>>   (depending on your environment this can be pro or con)

True, but for single computers this can be pointless.

>> - it seems amd64 uses a bit more RAM and can be slower under specific
>>   circumstances

Packages are bigger (in size), true, and overall memory consumption seems
to be higher, true. But a 32-bits PAE kernel has also its drawbacks when
using more that 8 GiB of ram.

> Sorry, this last point is only hearsay.

That's also my perception.

Greetings,