Re: Possible bug in nfs-common (Lenny != Squeeze)?

Hello Tom,

thanks for information about the "known" bugs.

I read forward and as I understand, with nfs4 we all must use domains.
As i read we have to configure the domain settings correct and maybe we have to manage it to use nfs4 by different domains. (http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3644471/Implement-NFSv4-Domains-and-Authentication.htm). OK, sounds serious.

But why is it working with Lenny? We have not changed anything on the mainframe. So the domains setting was and is still different......?

Regards,

Mario

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Mario Kleinsasser
<mario.kleinsasser+debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I am facing the following problem. At work site we have an IBM
> mainframe (i6OS). We are using this mainframe as NFS server to share data
> between both worlds.
> Since the mainframe NFS supports v.4 we are using it because it is much
> easier to handle through firewalls (single port etc.)
> In this setup the Debian server (Lenny) is acting as NFS client that is
> working quite cool. No problem on mounting, reading, writing files....
> If I am using a fresh Squeeze installation, it is impossible to mount the
> NFS share. No chance.
> The NFS client gave me the information "Access denied".
> In /var/log/syslog I got the message that user xyz@domain is not mappable to
> a local user. I've read a lot about the domain thing from NFSv4 and also
> about idmapd etc.... (and tried a lot) but why it works with Lenny but not
> with Squeeze?
> This setup runs inside a VMWare Esxi environment so its easy to test the
> behavior. When I shutdown the Squeeze box and startup the Lenny box (same IP
> etc...), all is working without problems. The other way - no chance. I also
> read about some problems in the Debian bug tracker and a common workaround
> for some problems is to downgrade to the Lenny version of nfs-common, like
> bug #585085.
> My question: is anyone using Lenny and Squeeze as NFS v4 only client in
> parallel? I have not installed a "normal" NFSv4 server until know.... I hope
> anyone could give me a hint to solve this.
> For your information, both servers, Lenny and Squeeze are installed from
> scratch (net-installer) without any modifications afterwards. First thing
> I've tested after installation is to mount the NFS server share. I guess
> there has something changed in the nfs-common package because I have the
> same problem if I am using an Ubuntu 10.4. Should I file a bug with detailed
> informations?

Squeeze defaults to nfsv4 so you have to synchronize the NFS domains
of the server or client or force an nfsv3 mount on the Squeeze box.