Re: Server freezing under heavy cpu / disk / network load

Davide Mirtillo put forth on 2/9/2011 1:06 AM:

>> Is this a brand name server, white box, DIY?  If the latter, what motherboard?
>
> It's a low end dedicated server i am renting. I've had it for about a
> week now.

FULL STOP!

Don't pay another cent for that crap.  Demand they switch you to a new(er)
_functional_ box, or switch to a reputable colo or VPS outfit.  The box is over
4 years old and is exhibiting hard locks.  You're _renting_ it.  Don't spend
another minute troubleshooting this.

If you paid a bunch up front, that's non-refundable, and you end up switching to
another host, then you learned a valuable lesson here.

--
Stan