Re: Server freezing under heavy cpu / disk / network load

Davide Mirtillo put forth on 2/8/2011 5:25 AM:

> I am currently running squeeze 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem. The machine has

Why run the 32bit distro with the bigmem kernel on an AMD64 box?  And why run
the bigmem kernel on a machine with only 1 GB RAM?  The bigmem kernel is only
needed for PAE, which means machines with more than 3GB (IIRC) of RAM.  Anyway,
you should always use the AMD64 kernel on supported CPUs as you get better
overall performance.

> 1024MB of ram and 2x160Gb Sata HDDs. The NIC is a 100MBit realtek one,
> with proper drivers from the firmware-realtek debian package.

> I would love to have some opinions on how to deal with this.

First thing I would do is completely disable all power saving features in the
system BIOS, the kernel, and user space.  If you still get the freezes, replace
hardware.

The San Diego core is 5 years old, making your server 4-5 years old.  Did you
ever see these system lock ups in the past?  If you run straight Lenny with the
regular i386 kernel (not bigmem) do you get these lock ups?

Is this a brand name server, white box, DIY?  If the latter, what motherboard?

--
Stan