Re: Firware drivers?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 01:03:43PM -0800, Arthur Barlow wrote:
> Are you guys kidding??!!!  I've been using "testing" for years with
> very little problems.
You should know that every time a release happens, both testing and
unstable go into flux.

Here are some free tips for everyone:

Do not track "stable" or "testing". Track the release names instead.
This will prevent unexpected upgrades

If you've been tracking testing (e.g. squeeze in this case) and a
release happens, don't switch to the next one until a month after
the stable release. This is because of the dozens of maintainers
who have been holding it in.

If you run testing or unstable you will sometimes have an unbootable
system.
Have knoppix or some liveCD handy and learn how to chroot.

I understand your pain and frustration but you're not going to make
any friends here with this kind of attitude.

I had to upgrade 5 machines on Sunday and I spent the whole day
doing it because of various problems. I followed the release notes
and one of the lenny laptops that had an nvidia card lost its console
when I upgraded the kernel and udev and rebooted.
(as instructed by the upgrade guide)
I didn't lash out because I knew it was risky and I knew there was
a way out. This is what comes out of "years of using debian".
--
Tarek