Re: Pump, dhchp, dns and dnsmasq

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 03:15 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On second though, if I dedicate a box for dnsmasq as both dhcp and dns ow this could be arranged.
> server, can I use a dhcp client on the very box to obtain the fixed IP
> address configured in dnsmasq?
>
> I know this is kind of chicken-egg problem, so I want to make it sure
> before proceeding.

It won't work, there are at least two generations of chicken-and-egg
problem in there ;-)

1. For DHCP client on eth0 to work you need the DHCP server listening on
eth0, which it can't do until the interface is brought up, which
requires DHCP client to complete.

2. DNS server needs a network interface and ip address to talk to
upstream which requires the interface to be brought up. This requires
DHCP to work, which is the same daemon (dnsmasq) as the DNS server.

--
Tixy               ()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
                   /\  Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments