Re: replacement for amarok 1.4. in squeeze?

Hello,

On šeštadienis 05 Vasaris 2011 13:07:08 Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> - ability to synchronize and manage media files on my ipod classic (a
> google search tells me I should install amarok-ipod, but there is no
> amarok-ipod in squeeze).

ipod should show up in "Media sources home" -> "Local music".

> - import my old podcasts. Somehow amarok managed to ignore the existing
> podcasts in my /home/audio folder. (There is no 'media device' setting
> in the configuration menue.)

There used to be a bug about this. I don't recall if it was fixed. But read
the point below.

> - ability to show recently added files and albums

Filter collection by e.g. "added:<1h". Click on the arrow in the Search
Collection text box.

> - ability to import my 'old' mysql database (amarok 1.4.10-2lenny1) into
> amarok 2.3.1. (I guess I could do without that in case of a good
> replacement for amarok).

Settings -> Configure Amarok -> Collection -> Import

All suggests are based on 2.4.0. Check if they apply to 2.3.1.

> I also find the new user interface quite annoying. It appears more
> 'clean' than the old one, but lacks many of the features that I found
> useful.
>
> amarok has always been quite a huge monster application, slow to start
> and rather wasteful on resources. In the past this disadvantage has been
> compensated by a large feature set. The 'new' amarok on kde4 by
> comparison, appears to be even slower to start and shows only a fraction
> of the features compared to lenny. (I guess this is generally the case
> with many applications for kde4).

Well, that's your preference. Amarok has always been pretty bulky. Personally
I don't find UI much worse as long as it satisfies my basic needs.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>