Re: why is the RIGHT ALT key ignored?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 05:06:45 -0500 (EST), Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I put all this stuff in .xinitrc (I don't use a desktop).
>

>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Alt_L"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = Escape"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 91 = Delete"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = F13"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 134 = F14"
>  /usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 135 = F15"
> exec icewm-session
>
> Of course, you need to run xev to see which keycode is actually being
> generated by Alt-R (108 in my case).

On my PC, AltGr and Alt seem to behave identically, and I don't have
a .xinitrc file.  I am using a classic IBM model M keyboard, US model,
101 keys, PS/2-style connection to a classic Intel 8042 keyboard controller.

My problem is I want it to act differently and it doesn't.  In Lenny,
Alt+Fn, where n = 1 to 12, switches to virtual console n, and
AltGr+Fn, where n = 1 to 12, switches to virtual console n+12.
So, for example, AltGr+F1 switches to virtual console 13.  I can do
something like this from a root shell prompt:

   # openvt -c 13 login

I can then switch to virtual console 13 with

   # chvt 13

or

   AltGr+F1

and login on virtual console 13.  When I'm done, I logout, switch back
to my root session which created console 13, and issue

   # deallocvt 13

to return the system to its previous state.  This doesn't work in Squeeze.
I can switch to virtual console 13 with

   # chvt 13

but

   AltGr+F1

does not switch to virtual console 13: it switches to virtual console 1.
Why was this change made, how can I restore it's former behavior, and
what are the ramifications of doing so?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :