Re: Please help me to evaluate flash/ssd life using vmstat -d

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 12:34 -0600, R. Ramesh wrote:
> All,
>
>   I run a debian firewall on an atom PC running of a 16G flash drive. I
> am trying understand the amount of disk write performed in order to
> understand how long my flash is likely to last.

[..]

> Note that the kernel writes do not translate into equivalent size writes
> into the flash. This is because flash has to be always written in
> multiples of erase block units (or write allocation size or some such
> thing). So I like to know how to translate above writes into number of
> erase-block writes.

Assuming you have a standard SSD drive attached via SATA or the like,
then you can't make any association between writes issued by the kernel
and the actual NAND device writes inside the drive. This is all
abstracted by the SSD controller which will have a fancy flash
translation layer to do wear levelling and bad block management.

--
Tixy               ()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
                   /\  Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments