Re: Backup media - double-layer DVD

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 02:10:53PM EST, Curt Howland wrote:

> =====
> > I prefer to store data in hard disks, but DVD-RAM (DL) could be
> worth
> > a try in the event I'd look for an "optical" backup solution.
>
> Thanks, will check whether my drive supports them.
> =====
>
> Here's one way to find out:
>
> =====
> $ dmesg | grep -i dvd
> [    4.391488] ata6.00: ATAPI: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A, 1.02, max
> UDMA/66
> [    4.398498] scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM            Optiarc  DVD RW
> AD-7170A  1.02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
> [    5.065253] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw
> xa/form2 cdda tray
> =====
Looks promising:

sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 62x/62x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

> One thing that tripped me up when I first used DVD-RAM is that it is
> unbelievably SLOW. When I thought the system was done writing, it

Ouch.. I read something in wikipedia re: fast media not being sold in
the US..

> Also, don't buy cheap. For all their "20 year archive" design, I've
> had files lost on three different DVD-RAM disks, something I never

Ah.. good to know. Never trusted optical drives in the first place.

There's an up-front cost involved, but provided I create ext2
partitions, it looks like SD cards might be the better solution.

Thanks,

cj

Paul.. I think you sent your post to my personal e-mail rather than the
list, somehow.. so I cannot use your message to reply to the list
without unseemly contortions :-)

In any event, I also create and store my backups on a HDD.. and ‘once in
a while’.. that's roughly every month when I remember.. copy the files
to optical media. Not sure it's worth the trouble but that's my lot.. On
the 2-3 occasions where I needed to take a look at an earlier state of
my system, I used the disk versions of the backups.. but then what
happens if/when your/my house is struck by lightning, flooded, bombed,
repossessed.. etc..?

I think the sd card on my cell-phone is a pretty good solution after
all.. fast.. reliable.. I hope :-) .. hassle-free (so I'm less likely to
skip the routine).. effective.. since it's highly unlikely I lose my
phone and my house at the same time.. relatively safe physically, with
the card tucked away in the entrails of my cell phone.. and with decent
encryption.. not likely any thieving THD will get to my PINs and stuff
before my credit cards expire. And pretty economical too, since the lone
16GB card I already own should suffice for years to come.

Thanks,

cj