Re: alternatives for gcc

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 20:11:31 Joe Riel wrote:
> Why are there no alternatives, configurable with update-alternatives,
> for gcc? Seems like I should be able to configure whether /usr/bin/gcc
> is linked to gcc-4.3, gcc-4.4, etc.   Of course I can just set the link
> manually (which I do), but ...

  Can't you set up new alterantives within the update-alternatives
mechanism?

  I have never done this, but it was one of the options I was
considering a while ago to control which version of an app
was the default -- as it turned out, I was able to use the
"stow" mechanism to good effect, because it was a non-packaged
app, so I only got as far as reading the update-alterantives
documentation.

  The man-page says that the "--install" option sets up a new
batch of alternatives.

  I don't know if this will interact constructively with the
package manager.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net