Re: which DVD to download?

In <[🔎] 20110201181038.GJ32679@desktop>, Brian wrote:
>On Tue 01 Feb 2011 at 08:22:36 -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
>> I want to install onto my laptop which has no network connectivity
yet
>> at home. Wanted to install basic system and then download the rest at
>> a net cafe.
>>
>> Which DVD(s) are sufficient?
>>
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-dvd/
>
>The netinst.iso would seem ideal for your purposes.
>
>http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-
latest/i386/iso-cd
>/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

I question this advice.  Last I checked, the netinst installer pulled
all packages from the network and basically just contains d-i and
configuration files.

It may contain enough .debs to prepare a very minimal system, but it
certainly won't have X11 or any other nice-to-have packages.

I only recommend the netinst to users that are likely to have Internet
while d-i is running.  That's most users now since many types of
connections are supported from within d-i.  But, the OP specifically
mentioned that they would likely not have Internet during the d-i run.