Re: which is at fault? iceweasel or drupal?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:09:18 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> * Camaleón [110201 00:45]:

>> Run "top" and sort by CPU usage to find the culprit.
>
> Three instances of gtk-gnash are at the head of the list, followed by
> Xorg and gnome-terminal.

Gnash means your browser is running a flash movie/animation and that
indeed can hog your CPU or that the plugin went nuts. Try by disabling it.

>> Drupal "per se" cannot be the culprit. It's quite wide and plenty of
>> modules. Most probably is that a concrete combination of some scripting
>> or DOM techniques used within the portal is giving headaches to your
>> browser. Modern (and the most up-to-date) browsers tend to handle
>> better such situations.
>
> Firefox/Iceweasel is misbehaving again, on other sites; this is in
> Squeeze RC1. perhaps my Firefox installation is broken.

You can try to start with an empty Firefox profile. But I'd say that is
not an uncommon behaviour, many of us suffer from that, every day...

> But now that I have discovered Konqueror, I may tell apt-get to remove
> Firefox; life is too short to mess around with a problematic package
> when there is a good alternative.

Just note that konqueror is not very well welcomed in some websites ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón