Re: [OT] Gmail's not-that-fancy features (was: USB3.0 problem: xhci_hcd not found)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:25:05 +0000, Krzysztof Bieniasz wrote:

>> Ah, I thought you were having problems to check if your message reached
>> the list becasue Gmail gracefully "hides" the copy sent by the mailing
>> list server.
>>
>> Then, why are you having problems to check your e-mails? :-?
>
> I don't think I follow you. I'm posting with a standalone newsreader.
> This has nothing to do with my email except for the fact that I had to
> subscribe to linux-gate with it and send an email before the first post
> to l.d.u.

Didn't you know about that Gmail feature? It's a pretty well-know
annoyance by anyone using Gmail's smtp service and mailing lists. Not
your case, though, as you are using an external nntp gateway.

>> Anyway, if in doubt, checking mailing list archive can help to diagnose
>> it:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/01/mail5.html
>
> Doesn't the archive show posts that are already published? My problem
> was that I wasn't sure if my post ever reached the news server because
> there were some problems with connection.

Forget about your nntp server: if the e-mail is in the mailing list
archive, anyone subscribed to this mailing list has received it. Your
nntp server may have another internal problems (I know because I also use
an nntp server and weird things happens...) but not related with the
mailing list itself.

>> No, Google groups are most like forums.
>
> Well yes, you're right. But I'm sure you're aware that Google archives
> all the news groups. And the archives can be accessed uniformly through
> Google groups -- and they let you post as well. But it's not very
> comfortable really.

Yes, you can post via Gmail's Groups but you are forced to use their web
interface or an e-mail client (afaik, Google Groups do no use nntp) and I
don't like that way.

>> I mean posting through a "nntp"
>> server, like Gmane... and know that I see, like your "aioe.org" news
>> server. Glad to know this list is also available from another news
>> server :-)
>
> I think it's accessible through quite many other servers as well.
> Perhaps some of them have less issues then the others. Gmane maybe is
> safer and has better spam filtering (as far as I understand it) but then
> again it doesn't carry most of the interesting groups. But I guess it's
> pretty useful for the GNU/Linux developers?

Yes, there are some mailing lists that are not being archived by Gmane,
but like you, in my case Gmane handles all the ones I want to follow :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón