Re: nameserver issues involving *.debian.org

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:50:20 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:06:41PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:

>> To discard something weird on your side (firewall, filter...), you can
>> query "debian.org" from your computer but using a different dns server:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did disable my firewall.
>
>> dig @8.8.8.8 debian.org
>

> $ dig @8.8.8.8 debian.org
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.7.1-P2 <<>> @8.8.8.8 debian.org ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd

Ugh :-(

>> If that also fails, then I would also point to your ISP, but maybe is a
>> transitional error with their routes and not conscious filtering.
>
> To others who suggested setting up my own DNS: how will that help if my
> ISP (intentionally or otherwise) interferes with my DNS traffic?

It shouldn't. If your ISP is having any problem with "routing" their
clients, a local DNS server still uses/passes through the same channel.
You'll need to bypass it with a proxy, for instance, or using another
service provider to go out.

Make a simple test. Can you browse to "www.debian.org" site? I guess no.
Now, try with a proxy:

http://proxify.com/

You should reach the site without problems.

> Does anyone use DNS over SSL?
> When I looked it up, I found stuff related to VPN.

Since the recent DNS poisoning flaw, many of the biggest ISP switched to
DNSSEC but mostly for authentication, not encryption.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón