Re: approx for new "netinst" installation

On 20110129_230759, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> [110126 03:45]:
> > On Tuesday 25 January 2011 16:17:56 Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > > I am trying to discover how -- if it is possible -- to use "approx" in
> > > order to minimize download time and bandwidth during a new "netinst"
> > > installation.
> > During the 'net-install' when the choose mirror screen appears you need to scroll
> > to the top of the list, choose manual entry or some such, point it at a local
> > url, proxy etc.
> >
> > This choice is apparent in all install modes, default to expert.
>
> I tried that, entering "192.168.0.200" (the LAN address of my approx
> server) as the "Debian archive mirror hostname" and

Have you tried "192.168.0.200:9999" ? I think you need the port number
and the default port for approx is 9999.

HTH

> "/var/cache/approx/debian" as the "Debian archive mirror directory".

I have been using approx for over a year and don't recall ever
specifying a "Debian archive mirror directory". I think there is an
approx demon which is listening on port 9999, and the demon already
knows where it is maintaining its database and proxy repository.  Look
at /etc/approx/approx.conf on your server.