Help with Sun Java in Debian Sid

I have been buying music from a website called HDtracks.com recently using my
Debian Sid desktop. They're wensite requires your run a download manager that
is a Java application for all music downloads. I have downloaded 2 albums
this past October without incident but ran into problems trying to buy music
yesterday.

In trying to track down what was going on, I realized I had the Sun Java jre
installed from the non-free repository and openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre-headless. I tried using update-aletrnatives --config java to
pick between the two to no avail. I removed the openjdk packages and
currently only have Sun's Java installed.

phobos:/home/nick# dpkg -l | grep java
rc  ca-certificates-java                                     20100412
Common CA certificates (JKS keystore)
pi  java-common                                              0.40
Base of all Java packages
ii  javascript-common                                        8
Base support for JavaScript library packages
rc  libaccess-bridge-java-jni                                1.26.2-5
Java Access Bridge for GNOME (jni bindings)
ii  plasma-scriptengine-javascript                           4:4.4.5-1
the JavaScript script engine for Plasma
ii  sun-java6-bin                                            6.22-1
Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent files)
ii  sun-java6-fonts                                          6.22-1
Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
ii  sun-java6-jre                                            6.22-1
Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)
ii  sun-java6-plugin

As a simple test, when I try to visit this site, http://www.time.gov/, which
uses Java to show real time, the browser freezes for about 15 seconds, the
page loads but no Java clock is shown.

So I tried installing Java on my Debian Sid laptop via apt-get install
sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin and all works well. The Java clock works and I
was able to download my music from HDtracks.

On the laptop:

thinkpad:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22# dpkg -l | grep java
ii  java-common                          0.40
 Base of all Java packages
ii  sun-java6-bin                        6.22-1
 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent
files)
ii  sun-java6-jre                        6.22-1
 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent
files)
ii  sun-java6-plugin                     6.22-1
 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
thinkpad:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22#

Any suggestions?