approx for new "netinst" installation

I am trying to discover how -- if it is possible -- to use "approx" in
order to minimize download time and bandwidth during a new "netinst"
installation.

It appears to be necessary to complete a minimal installation, and
then to switch over to an approx server to add packages.  But this
means that it is necessary to download over the Internet -- which
takes time and bandwidth on both ends of the connection.

I have tried opening a terminal, and using nano to edit
/target/etc/apt/sources.list , but then the installer defaults to a
minimal installation.

And even if I complete a minimal installation, then a subsequent
invocation of tasksel does not offer all the options which are offered
during the initial installation.

The ability to utilize an approx server for the initial installation
would be useful during a Debian installfest.  (Do Linux user groups
have installfests anymore?)

RLH