Re: help

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:03:18 +0000
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 January 2011 02:35:08 Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> > As far as chrome goes, you can easily do this by opening up a terminal
> > (command prompt) and typing:
> >
> > sudo aptitude install chromium-browser
>
> The OP said that he has installed Lenny.  chromium-browser is not in the Lenny
> repositories.  When I installed it via Google, just a few weeks ago, it was
> not even in the Lenny backports.  And it isn't likely to get there now.
>
> Presumably you, Robert, are using Squeeze or Sid.

I am (actually a dual boot of #!(based on squeeze) and sid) - I just assumed that chrome would be in backports.

> So, Padilla, I'm afraid taht you won't be able to install it from teh normal
> repositories since you say taht you are using Debian 5.  But Google supplies
> a repository for Chrome that works via aptitude once you have added the
> repository to you sources list.

We have to remember that he is a newbie, so he may not know how to add repositories to sources.list

> You probably also don't know what sudo is if you have a vanilla installation
> of Debian 5 and are a newbie.  So just use su <enter>, enter root';s password
> and you can then use the commands, minus the sudo.

That's true.  However, isn't sudo one of the first packages most people install on a fresh installation (other than services, etc)?  Most people I know have sudo on their machines...  Well, anyway, we all know what *assume* spells.

I know I'm going to get flack for this... but isn't debian-stable not _really_ the best distro for newbies?  Testing seems to be more intended for general use, while stable is for systems that *can't* break, servers, etc.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

--
rbmj