Re: help

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:41:23 -0500
Padilla Juan Leon II <erosthanatus@gmail.com> wrote:

> greetings !
>
> i just installed my debian 5.0.7 in my laptop.
>
> i just want to install 3 things in my debian OS
>
> 1 google chrome
> 2 skype
> 3 adobe flash player
>
> i read some of the text in the web but i can't install any of those things
> above.
>
> if you don't mind can you make the instruction very simple im not that very
> good in comp laguage.
>
> thank you and more power!
>
> juan padilla

As far as chrome goes, you can easily do this by opening up a terminal (command prompt) and typing:

sudo aptitude install chromium-browser

This will prompt you for your password.  The characters in your password will not be displayed on the screen (not even as *s or dots), so don't worry if it seems like nothing is being typed.

To install flash player on Lenny, you should try the following:

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree

If this fails, saying something along the lines of "no package found", then you should do the following:

sudo echo "deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude -t lenny-backports install flashplugin-nonfree
sudo /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

Skype can be installed by going here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/post-download/ and clicking on the "Debian Lenny" link.  This will
download a .deb package that you can install.  You'll want to make note of where it downloads it to. There are then two ways to go:

1. Download and install gdebi (sudo aptitude install gdebi), and then just clicking on the file should launch a simple window with an easy "install" button, or

2. Find what directory you downloaded the .deb to (lets just say its called /home/juan/downloads - note that this is CaSe SeNsItIvE) and do the following:

cd /home/juan/downloads
sudo dpkg -i skype-debian_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb

Note that that's what it was called when I downloaded it, but you should check to make sure the filename is the same.  This may have errors with dependency resolution, so unless there is a reason you don't want to install gdebi, then use it. Also, if you are having trouble with just clicking on it, you can invoke gdebi from the command line:

cd /home/juan/downloads
sudo gdebi skype-debian_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb

again, check the filename and directory, and if you already have issued the cd command, you won't need it again.

Hope this helps!

--
rbmj