Re: loud f'ing noise

shawn wilson:

> second, where do i find the cause of this alarm? i looked in my the log
> files of when it started (well, kern, messages, syslog) and sent along the
> only thing i saw... now, this was a $400 supermicro motherboard when i
> bought it a few years ago,

I have a Supermicro board as well (X7SPA) and while it doesn't contain a
regular PC speaker, it's got that small, cylindrycal thing on it that
starts beeping unbearably loud for not reason at all. Much like yours.

My guess is that it has something to do with the board losing it's
threshold values for temperature alarms and at the same time
mis-reporting some temps. Take a look here:

http://well-adjusted.de/~jrschulz/gfx/x7spa-temps.png

The sudden jump in week 2 is completely bogus. At the same time,
lm-sensors reports an alarm temperature if 0°C.  I ended up just
disabling the alarm noise with a jumper on the mainboard. Now I am only
notified about this status using a red LED on the case (right next to
power, HD LEDs etc.)

> so i suppose the bios might have a logging
> mechanism (like i've seen on some dells). how would i access that?

You can use lm-sensors to see whether you get erratic temp readings as
well.

> i agree that i should get notified of messed up things. however, if
> something happens (ie, ram issue that ecc catches) i should be notified
> about it and allowed to go about my day. just saying, i think i lost quite a
> bit of sanity listening to that thing for over an hour.

I guess that's the way Supermicro does things. My only solution (apart
from disabling the speaker) is to reboot the machine when it starts to
beep.

J.
--
We are lining up to see you fall flat on your face.
[Agree]   [Disagree]