Re: loud f'ing noise

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 18:22 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

> so.... for next time, is there any software to reset hardware alarms?
> i know there's ipmi stuff, but i don't have an ipmi card for this
> computer. when i googled, i found a man page for 'hwreset' but i
> didn't find anything with 'apt-cache search' (on either the kubuntu
> install or a debian box).

Hi Shawn,
those alarms are useful and usually have a cause, maybe your fan did
spin too slow for BIOS, that happened to me at some point, having a
temperature-controlled fan and a MB caring about its CPU-Fan-Speed. And
I think they don't go away because the guys who made it thought it was a
good idea to turn your system off immediately if this noise appears. You
should find the cause of your alarm and by eliminating that you minimize
the probability you'll hear that ever again.

Sorry if I misunderstood, I just don't want you to harm a system running
debian :)

Bye
Simon