Re: loud f'ing noise

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Simon Hollenbach <ionpowered@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 18:22 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

> so.... for next time, is there any software to reset hardware alarms?
> i know there's ipmi stuff, but i don't have an ipmi card for this
> computer. when i googled, i found a man page for 'hwreset' but i
> didn't find anything with 'apt-cache search' (on either the kubuntu
> install or a debian box).

Hi Shawn,
those alarms are useful and usually have a cause, maybe your fan did
spin too slow for BIOS, that happened to me at some point, having a
temperature-controlled fan and a MB caring about its CPU-Fan-Speed. And
I think they don't go away because the guys who made it thought it was a
good idea to turn your system off immediately if this noise appears. You
should find the cause of your alarm and by eliminating that you minimize
the probability you'll hear that ever again.

Sorry if I misunderstood, I just don't want you to harm a system running
debian :)

 first, fear not - it's not "debian" it's kubuntu :)

second, where do i find the cause of this alarm? i looked in my the log files of when it started (well, kern, messages, syslog) and sent along the only thing i saw... now, this was a $400 supermicro motherboard when i bought it a few years ago, so i suppose the bios might have a logging mechanism (like i've seen on some dells). how would i access that?

i agree that i should get notified of messed up things. however, if something happens (ie, ram issue that ecc catches) i should be notified about it and allowed to go about my day. just saying, i think i lost quite a bit of sanity listening to that thing for over an hour.