How to start gdm by default

Hi,

I need to start gdm by default on one of my boxes, which is currently
booting into text mode.

I do have gdm installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep gdm
ii  gdm            2.20.11-4      GNOME Display Manager

It's still activated as the bootup service:

% update-rc.d gdm defaults
gdm already in /etc/runlevel.conf: No change.

$ grep gdm /etc/runlevel.conf
01      0,1,6   -               /etc/init.d/gdm
30      -       2,3,4,5         /etc/init.d/gdm

which should mean business as usual to start it when system boot up. But
my gdm is not starting.

Actually, I'm been booting to text mode ever since I use Linux, and have
forgot what trick I played to switch the booting mode (from gui to text)
now.

Here are my current (related) settings:

$ grep initdefault /etc/inittab
id:2:initdefault:

$ tail -3 /boot/grub/menu.lst
title   os11 :: Debian kernel 2.6.35-grml64
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-grml64 root=/dev/sda8 ro vga=normal
 initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-grml64

Where should I tweak? Is above enough?

Thanks

--