Re: How to start gdm by default

On Jo, 27 ian 11, 03:22:12, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's still activated as the bootup service:
>
> % update-rc.d gdm defaults
> gdm already in /etc/runlevel.conf: No change.
>
> $ grep gdm /etc/runlevel.conf
> 01      0,1,6   -               /etc/init.d/gdm
> 30      -       2,3,4,5         /etc/init.d/gdm
>
> which should mean business as usual to start it when system boot up. But
> my gdm is not starting.

/etc/runlevel.conf does not exist on my system and apt-file also doesn't
know about it (and I have stable, testing, unstable and experimental in
my sources.list)

> Actually, I'm been booting to text mode ever since I use Linux, and have
> forgot what trick I played to switch the booting mode (from gui to text)
> now.
>
> Here are my current (related) settings:
>
> $ grep initdefault /etc/inittab
> id:2:initdefault:
>
> $ tail -3 /boot/grub/menu.lst
> title   os11 :: Debian kernel 2.6.35-grml64
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-grml64 root=/dev/sda8 ro vga=normal
>  initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-grml64

Are you are running grml? If yes it seems like a grml specific question,
and chances are not very big to find an answer on debian-user.

Regards,
Andrei