Re: OT non-smart questions

Op 25-01-11 22:41, Charlie schreef:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:38:52 -0500 Petrus Validus
>
> It's always tricky when someone who doesn't have a good command of a
> language, attempts to get answers on a mailing list on a language they
> don't know well. They do tend to use less words to make less mistakes,
> and the email reads a bit abrupt, even rude or demanding.
>
> I assume they post to an unfamiliar mailing list because they can't get
> the answers, or don't have a mailing list on that subject in their own
> language. Because of the language difficulty don't read the list
> nettiquette or anything else, just hoping that someone will understand
> their need. [laughing] Just goes to show that most of us are very lucky
> in one way or another.
True, but I have the feeling we were all trying to help, as in "rephrase
your question in some way we do understand". That's a useful lesson fir
this list, but also for any mail in general. I do understand that one's
ability to ask smart questions can be severely limited by a language
barrier. Yet, that does not mean that one should not ask smart
questions. Just because non-smart questions are usually unanswerable.

Cheers!
Sjoerd