Re: Lenny or Squeeze?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 -0500, Matt Harrison wrote:
> However, that being said, I am looking to switch back.  I know Lenny
> is currently Stable but I have seen posts suggesting Squeeze will be
> out within a few months hopefully so I am wondering if I should just

Squeeze is expected to be released on the 5./6. February. [0]

> put it off until Squeeze becomes the current Stable or if I should
> install the RC of Squeeze....or...just install the current version of
> Lenny and then upgrade to Squeeze when it becomes Stable.

You could install using the rc2 installer, but there are still some
problems. Check [1] and [2]

> I know the Ubuntu upgrade between distros is crap so I really don't
> want to just finish customizing Lenny to the way I want it to only
> have an upgrade reinstall all of the packages that I just uninstalled.

Debian has typically no problems to upgrade between releases. The key is
to follow the release notes. They describe the complete process in great
detail. [3]

[0] http://lists.debian.org/20110118193635.GC4061@halon.org.uk
[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/installmanual
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/releasenotes
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.