Re: apt-get/aptitude. Ist it true...

Am 2011-01-25 10:30, schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
On Monday 24 January 2011 19:59:51 peter_someone wrote:
...that since lenny it's safe to mix the two because a. apt-get now
handles (or can handle)orphans similarly thanks to autoremove and also
uses the same database or better yet, has the same markings for
automatically installed vs manually installed?
IME, not in Lenny, but in Squeeze once it is released.  APT and Aptitude
should use the same database (the APT one) to indicate which packages are
"automatically installed".  Also, APT will have configuration options that to
control if Recommended or Suggested will be uninstalled when they are no
longer Depended on in addition to the current option that controls if
Recommended packages are installed by default AND Aptitude will read and
respect those configuration options.

I use aptitude (which will grow a GTK interface in Squeeze) for all my package
management, but I'm glad to see APT get more featureful.  It's also nice to
see Aptitude work more seamlessly with APT.

I understand that aptitude was the preferred tool for Etch ->  Lenny upgrades
but that apt-get will be the preferred tool for Lenny ->  Squeeze upgrades.  I
hope that the more "core" tool of apt-get will continue to be preferred, and
that Aptitude can focus on UI and user experience improvements.  Aptitude's
interactive resolver takes a bit of learning, but I find it is much nicer than
any other interactive resolver I've used and makes maintaining aggressively
mixed systems quite easy.
ah so already maintaining a mixed system (mostly testing) with apt-get, i have to wait until after squeeze becomes stable to use aptitutde (or until i see an update for the aptitude package :))

thanks