Re: apt-get/aptitude. Ist it true...

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 03:30:40AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

. . .

> I use aptitude (which will grow a GTK interface in Squeeze) for all my package
> management, but I'm glad to see APT get more featureful.  It's also nice to
> see Aptitude work more seamlessly with APT.

. . .

I am apprehensive about that GTK interface. It doesn't look ready to me.

Mine comes up with a terminal spouting lines like

libglade-WARNING **: could not look up stock id '_Forget New Packages'

for all the menu items.

Inevitably the window freezes and stops redrawing on some function and I
have to "killall aptitude". Last time it was when I tried to open a
"dependencies" tab within a package info dialog. It froze on "parsing
changelog." I haven't completed a session with aptitude GTK since it was
only available in experimental.

It is a great looking thing: the info access of Synaptic, the functions of
Aptitude.

I'll hang on to aptitude-curses out of familiarity for a year or more
anyway.

I am perfectly happy with aptitude-curses, and apt-get/aptitude at the
command line.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody