Re: Question related to FDE (Full Disk Encryption) solution under Linux Debian Lenny

Thomas Nguyen Van wrote:
Our company needs to encrypt hard drives on our machines running under Linux Debian Lenny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/

LUKS works on all machines, with or without cryptographic chipsets (e.g. Intel Trusted Platform Module, TPM). I believe it can make use of microprocessor cryptographic acceleration instructions (e.g. Intel Advanced Encryption Standard Instructions, AES-NI).

The Debian 5 installer can set up a system disk with an unencrypted boot/ partition and all other partitions encrypted. You enter the passphrase when the system boots.

The command-line utility 'cryptsetup' and the file /etc/crypttab can be used to make changes, add and remove drives and partitions, etc..

HTH,

David