Re: Debian on Netbook mainly for PHP and AS3 Dev, but keeping Win XP

On 01/24/2011 10:15 AM, Maurycy Zarzycki wrote:
Hello,

Hi
My Netbook is MSI Wind U100, the specs:
<http://www.umpcportal.com/products/MSI/Wind/U100> though I have 2GB of
RAM and bigger HD. Let me list my concerns to make it easier:
* There is some kind of visual interface... Right?

If you mean on GUI yes. Default is Gnome but you can easily download and install Debian .iso with KDE, XFCE, LXDE or install any other you like.

* I am pretty sure any OS is fine for PHP and AS3 development, so that's
not a problem, but what about support for Debugger flash players
(standalone and in-browser) for Debian, no major problems?

I don't know anything about flash debuggers but in Iceweasel (Firefox on Debian) you can install FlashFirebug. More about Debian packages you can find here http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

* Will it be feasible to run some kind of Virtual Box on it to play
windows games (logical games mostly)

You can install Virtual Box without a problem. I don't know how it goes with 3D acceleration and gaming in Virtual Box.

* I have an external HD formatted as NTFS, will there be no problems
with accessing its data?

I have few external HD NTFS and never had any problems.

* When, once, I wanted to install Ubuntu on my drive I had to format
partition into some never-ever-heard-before file system architecture,
would I have to format my stuff too?

Yes. Before installing Debian move all your data on ext. HDD or somewhere else.
Do not worry, you will be used to that strange file system :-)

* Since my netbook doesn't have a CD Rom and I don't have access to an
external one, I'd like to keep winXP on my system in case I want to go
back, any possibilities of doing so?
* Is there some guide on installing Debian from USB drive?

You can, it's called 'dual boot'.
If you don't have previously experience with any Linux, back up all your HDD, make extra partition where will be Debian and when Debian installer ask you where to install OS point to that partition.

When grub is installed he will notice that you have Ms. When you turn on box grub will be loaded and ask you what you wont Debian or Ms.

To put Debian on usb use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you think Debian is the wrong choice, could you point me towards some
other system?

If I'm think it's a wrong choice I will not be here :-)
Well that depend what you expect and what stories about Debian or Linux did you hear.

Thanks in advance,
-Maurycy Zarzycki

--
Bye,