Re: Debian on Netbook mainly for PHP and AS3 Dev, but keeping Win XP

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:15:07 +0100
Maurycy Zarzycki <skell@tlen.pl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask. Recently I got under my care an
> unmanaged Debian VPS, and I kinda grew to like it rather much, so an
> idea struck me to install Debian on my netbook. I primarily use it for
> PHP and AS3 development (pure as3, no flash professional flash-educated
> folks) but I'd certainly like to play some logic games on it too,
> presumably even windows games...
>
> My Netbook is MSI Wind U100, the specs:
> <http://www.umpcportal.com/products/MSI/Wind/U100> though I have 2GB of
> RAM and bigger HD. Let me list my concerns to make it easier:
>   * There is some kind of visual interface... Right?

Don't understand this question.

>   * I am pretty sure any OS is fine for PHP and AS3 development, so
> that's not a problem, but what about support for Debugger flash players
> (standalone and in-browser) for Debian, no major problems?

What are "Debugger flash players"?

>   * Will it be feasible to run some kind of Virtual Box on it to play
> windows games (logical games mostly)

Don't know.

>   * I have an external HD formatted as NTFS, will there be no problems
> with accessing its data?

I don't have much experience with NTFS, but I'm pretty sure that
whatever kernel / userspace support is available in the linux world is
available in Debian (but you may want Sid to get the most advanced
versions).

>   * When, once, I wanted to install Ubuntu on my drive I had to format
> partition into some never-ever-heard-before file system architecture,
> would I have to format my stuff too?

Don't understand what you're asking here.

>   * Since my netbook doesn't have a CD Rom and I don't have access to an
> external one, I'd like to keep winXP on my system in case I want to go
> back, any possibilities of doing so?

Sure.

>   * Is there some guide on installing Debian from USB drive?

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html

ISTR hearing that there was some work being done on making this process
easier / less painless, but I can't find a link, and I don't know the
status of the work.

Celejar