Re: VirtualBox 4 fails building kernel module (the same with nvidia module)

On 22/01/11 23:03, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
[...]

I have the same setup, I build my kernel (2.6.37 currently) with
kernel-package and both nvidia and VirtualBox 4 work fine (they build
automatically with dkms). I don't use extraversion, only
--append-to-version and --revision.
The problem with extraversion and 2.6.37 is known, it's been reported
here if I remember, look for a message starting with "kernel-package:
2.6.37" in the archives. But since it seems to affect only proprietary
software I guess they'll have to adapt.

Hmmm, that's interesting - I don't remember tinkering with extraversion directly - unless it's '-rc1' suffix which causes the trouble. I did a number of tests yesterday and I found that I cannot get 2.6.38-rc1 working at all, however I could finally get back 2.6.32 working again after I build it (with both --revision and --append-to-version). This required deleting /usr/src/linux soft link after restarting PC - it has been recreated automagically by 'something' pointing to 2.6.38-rc1 source. But after removing the link both

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
m-a a-i nvidia

worked and build me the modules. Still I don't know what's wrong with 2.6.38-rc1. Perhaps it's '-rc1' fault - I'll wait for stable 2.6.38 and will report back :)

Thanks all for the advices.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann